Saturday, February 4, 2012

TOLERANCE

No, it wasn't a rough day.  Her hair looks like that 3 minutes after I brush it every day.


As a person who has been called "weird" and "crazy" her whole life, I've done my best to teach my kids a few things:

1. Different isn't a bad thing.  It's okay to be different.  In fact, in this house, it's highly encouraged.
2. Unique and creative are about as cool as you can get.
3. Who gives a turd what everyone else is doing?  If it was all that great, they wouldn't feel the need to recruit.
4. Other people being different is cool, too.  Be it that they look, dress, act, talk, learn, eat, pray, sing, whatever, in a way you don't do yourself, or in a way you don't know, doesn't make them any less "okay" or acceptable that you.
5. Most of the above has been taught in direct reference to the Princess' condition, which is an effort to teach someone with neurological issues.

"It hurts my feelings when you call her Autistic."--a grown member of my family.  IT'S NOT A FREAKIN NAME I'M CALLING HER TO BE MEAN, IT'S HER EFFIN DIAGNOSIS. . . AND IT'S OKAY.  The Princess is learning that Asperger's can actually be pretty cool.  It allows her to do things most kids can't. . .like her whole music savantism.  (That's not a word.  I don't care.)

So, when I was walking through the lobby at work and Tater pointed out her sister's name on the Character Kid wall, I got a bit stupid.

"Anistyn is always understanding of others' differences.  She also appreciates the uniqueness in all people."

Ohhhhh, I'm getting all choked up again.

Seriously, do you people understand just how friggin AMAZING this is?!

This is exactly how I want my children to be.


Excuse me.  I have to go freak out the Princess by attacking her with giant hugs.  And cookies.  Yeah, this def calls for cookies.

6 comments:

  1. YOU ARE~AN AWESOME MOM...
    I APPLAUD YOU AND YOURS!!!
    WHY DO PEOPLE WANTA BE LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE?
    ...BE UNIQUE~!~BE YOU!!!
    LOVE...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome for supporting us!! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. So awesome. I am finding with Asperger's that once they get past the social difficulties, they really are the best friends. They don't see others in a critical light. You are doing a great job. Don't doubt it a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I am an Aspie, and never really fit in either. Good for you for valuing your child's uniqueness - now to teach HER to value it too. I only say that because I pretty much NEVER did, and that's a recipe for disaster. She may never be like her siblings - heaven knows I'm not like mine - but that's fine. Don't pretend to be someone else - know who you are and learn to love (or at least accept) it. Some irreverence is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks that you didn't have that understanding growing up, but it's fantastic that you have since realized yourself!

      As far as siblings go, she's the oldest. . .so the younger two have learned from her behavior. So now we've added a new goal to our crazy life, and that is to somehow make them understand that Sissy acts/reacts the "wrong" way sometimes, and that we have to work with her, and that we are ALL role models for each other, and we all can help one another (and accept help). That part's tough.

      The Princess' "quirks" and stims aren't a concern--it's the tantrums that we want to contain and control. Any pointers from an older Aspie? And, I ask as a mother, is there anything your mom did (or didn't do, and you wish she had) that you could share?

      Thanks so much for reading, and for commenting! I love feedback.

      Delete