Monday, May 14, 2012

BRAAAAAAAAINS

Of which I have little.

Having run low on options to combat the Princess' steady tantrums and general attitude problem, I carted her off to the neurologist again today.  On our first couple of visits over a year ago, as well as hearing the Doc speak at an autism conference last spring, I was a bit uncomfortable with her.  She seemed to be too sure of herself, and a bit condescending, and quick to say (after 5 minutes of seeing my child), "She doesn't have autism."

Something has changed, though.  When we spoke today, she seemed to listen more, and asked more questions, and was pretty eager to try something new.  She went through what we could do, and laid out a timeline of treatments and such.  She also drew me diagrams and charts on the exam table paper and didn't tease or anything when I tore the paper off to keep.

And this may not sit well with most parents, and it may not make sense to a lot of you, but I loved that she spoke to me, and not to the Princess. It's like she already knew that that line of questioning would be pointless. Oh, she didn't ignore her by any means---the Doc was very side-eyed observant, if that makes sense.  But for the most part, the Princess was allowed to explore the room and sit and tic all she wanted.

Previously, we've tried Fluoxetine to try to calm her tics, and Strattera to help her focus.  Neither did shit.  Now we're onto a Ritalin-like stimulant, since she showcases so many ADHD symptoms (and, apparently, so do I, as the Doc subtly suggested I get myself tested and treated as well).  She also referred us to a psychologist for a more in-depth evaluation.  That's awesome.  I love evaluations.  Big ole packets of paper with lists and scores and assessments and stuff?  I live for that shit.

I'm always eager to find what professionals think of my kids.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's confirmation?  All 3 are just so interesting to me, with their huge personalities and funny quirks.  Teachers must dread IEP meetings with me---I've been known to attend hours-long meetings over the Princess.  There's always something to be said.

I know, I'm weird.  No need to say it, everyone's told me before.  But this weirdo makes awesome kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment