Saturday, June 30, 2012

BLUEBERRY BUCKLE

AKA, "ginormous muffin with streusel topping."

So last week we took the brood on a little field trip to a local orchard and set em to work in the fields.















And I did a lil pickin myself



So we went home with an assload of peaches and blueberries.

What the hell is a girl supposed to do with an assload of peaches and blueberries?!

Well, there's homemade granola with the berries, and sweet tea with the peaches. . .hmmm. . .on to Facebook and Foodgawker!

The Big Munky's wonderfully good-natured and humorous cousin (whom I share my name with, which makes her doubly awesome) gave a recipe for peach cobbler.  I've never actually seen cobbler up close, and was initially pretty against cooked fruit, but I thought what the hell.  But, since I can't follow any directions (I'm a rebel, yo) I did some other crap to it that I can't really remember--and it still turned out pretty damn good.  Good enough that all 3 of the kids and Big Munky ate it, and that it didn't last a day.

Sweet.

Then I found a recipe for Blueberry Buckle.  I'd never heard of it, so it registered as "weird as hell," and I was, of course, intrigued.

Again, Angified the snot out of the thing, but kept notes as I did so.  It was awesome, too, and tasted just like a blueberry muffin.

And, again, it didn't last a day.

Sugar--1 cup white
            1/2 cup brown
Shortening--1/4 cup
Egg
Flour--2 cups
Baking powder
Salt
Blueberries
Cinnamon
Butter
Vanilla

Mix 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup shortenin, and 1 egg.

Separately mix 1 2/3 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt

Grab 3/4 cup milk.

Alternating the milk and first mix, add into the flour mix and stir well.

Stir in 2 cups of blueberries.

Pour into pan.


Topping:
1/4 white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Mix and pour over top of cake.
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.


Freakin YUM.

1 comment: