Saturday, August 13, 2011

ABA and stuff

This school year I have a new assignment, about which I'm super psyched as well as super anxious.  Before I've been an assistant in the classroom; now that's cut back to part time.  The majority of my day will be working one on one doing ABA therapy with students with autism.  The way things are looking, there ain't gonna be a whole lot of "part time."

I get my own room/office/closet.  How cool is that?!

I've also been assigned to ride a short bus as an attendant, per new state standards.  But that's another issue I ain't dealin with just yet.

So, like most people I know outside of our school, you're probably goin, "Sounds awesome.  What the hell is ABA?"  Since I'm not an expert, have no formal/collegiate training (now if you wanna count personal experience and incidental teaching, that's another scorecard), I don't feel comfortable learnin' you on the matter.  So I'll give you my understanding of the program, along with what I've stolen borrowed from other websites.

Firstly, "What is ABA?"
Stands for "Applies Behavior Analysis,"  a program of therapy designed for autistic children, which focuses on, duh, behavior.  ABA is sometimes called DTT (Discrete Trial Therapy) which isn't the same thing---DTT is the more popular method of ABA, but the overall program consists of much more.

from Autism Treatment Info, Many techniques are often used in an ABA program, Discrete Trial Teaching (DTT) is one of the primary (but not the only) instructional methods used in ABA programs for children with Autism today.  This technique is used to maximize learning and can be used to develop most skills including, cognitive, social, behavioral, fine motor, play, social and self help skills.  DTT involves breaking down skills into small sub-skills and teaching each sub-skill, intensely, one at a time.  It involves repeated practices with prompting and fading of prompts to insure the child’s success. DTT also uses reinforcement to help shape and maintain positive behaviors and skills.
http://www.autismtreatment.info/what+is+aba.aspx

In a nutshell, mostly what I'll be incorporating officially is DTT--taking a goal the child is working to attain and breaking in down into steps, then using prompts, lots of verbal praise, and reinforcements to help the child learn.  These goals can be anything from imitating motor skills to potty training to engaging with peers in the classroom, as well as sorting and classifying.

There is a buttload of paperwork/data collection.  TCPS is incorporating a new program ( http://www.behavioranalysts.com/shop/product.php?cat=253&productid=16156 ) this year, utilizing the ABLLS-R assessment http://www.behavior-consultant.com/whatablls.htm, an intensive "test" that helps to guide the development of each individual child's development and ABA standards.  This new kit should help in diminishing some of the paperwork, thus making assessments and sessions quicker and more productive.  Hells Yes.

If you're wondering about my language at work, with the kids, calm down.  I stifle most of my thoughts when they're inappropriate.  And I respect parents' decisions, which I automatically assume includes "don't cuss around my kid."

Back on track.  Hey!  Did I mention I get my own room?  Bitchin.

My good friend Alicia, who helped get TCPS' ABA program on its feet, has gone into business of her own offering private sessions outside of school.  Her website, http://btgtipton.com/index.html, details her services and training and personal experience.  Her son Jacob is an amazing little dude who has come a looooong way thanks to his mama taking steps in learning as much as she can about autism and its various treatments.  Seriously, I love this kid.  In fact, the whole family pretty much kicks ass.

This video starts off with a pretty simplistic explanation of ABA and DTT, then shows session examples intermittently with "tips and tricks," so to speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2afb4i7LMJc

Though the methodology and environments aren't ideal, and I can name several "wrongs," they're working for this home setup, and the instruction and tips are spot on.

On a more personal note, the Princess has never received any formal ABA techniques/therapy.  As I research what I can and learn all I'm able to about my new position, I'm beginning to think of ways to incorporate a few into our home life.  I'm also wondering how the past few years could have been different had I known more.

One book I've read since I've started back at work is "A Work in Progress," http://www.difflearn.com/product/A_Work_in_Progress/autism_ABA_basics  It's a quick read with lots of info and examples.  Great for an overall view of ABA.  Also, the title's metaphor appeals to my writer-wannabe's sense of self.
















No comments:

Post a Comment